Tuesday, June 14, 2011

MBA -- you've got it all WRONG


Here is my random thoughts about MBA -- Master of Business Administration. I am not taking position on whether you should pursue it or not, it's just my 2 cents -- you need to know your motivation and what does a MBA offer. Have I came across a moment that I want to pursue a MBA degree. Of course! Multiple times, in fact.


My post-graduate advisor/professor was convinced that I will get a MBA degree some day, eventually. He maybe right, maybe not. I can only prove it when I got one of disprove it when I reunion with the Almighty Lord. If and when I eventually enrol in a MBA program, I will, undoubtably, have clear goals and objectives in "getting something out of it", instead of merely the three letter behind my name.


I question and challenge the real benefits from a MBA program. I don't have sufficient facts to argue either way. But I am convinced that you need to have a couple solid years in industrial management before enroling to the program in order to reap the most benefits out of the program, maximize your ROI. I am totally against a fresh-grad BBA continue with a MBA program. In fact, some well-established institutes impose some years of work experience as a prerequisite of enrolment.


Most people believe that MBA unlocks the secret of understanding business administration, and thus make big bucks out of it. There maybe some merit to it, but if that's your motivation to get in the program, I pity you.


MBA is well beyond education. Most people got it all wrong. To me, MBA is not only academics, it's also about networking! During the course of the program, you ought to acquaint with your fellowship classmates. Unlike undergraduate programs, most of your classmates are of pretty much of the same academic and industrial background: just finished high school and had some part-time job in some irrelevant "industries". Different from other graduate programs, most of your classmates are perusing advanced academic knowledge about a subject matter. They are (laser-)focusing in a microscopic subject in order to philosophy the matter to the point that no one has done before -- so you are working pretty much alone, maybe with your advisor / professor if you are lucky. MBA students could have very different age, ethics groups, more importantly, differnt academic and industrial background. But they have a set of common goals: get educated, get acquainted, get the degree, and get on with their life.


The know-how is no longer sufficient in this current business climate, you need to also know-who; you need to network. Note: I would like to emphasis that you need to know both: how and who, not just neither one. I can think of a handful incidence that know-who saved my ass.


How about the prestige-ness of the business school? Does that matter? Depends, if all you care is the three letters added to your name, you should not care about the which business school you enroll to. In fact, you should not even bother with enrolment. You can probably buy off a degree from some phony schools. If all you care is the intelligent advancement from the degree, the school matters, a little. People urge to get into the most prestige business school because the classmate are more "network-worthy". That's also partially the reason that MBA costs an arm and a leg. There are coach class, business class, and first-class in MBA school.


So what about DBA or Executive-MBA, I haven't able to think that far yet. (No, DBA != database administrator in this context)



No comments:

Post a Comment