Friday, January 8, 2010

Eco-friendly!

Eco-Friendly

I can't claim that I am a devoted greenpeace supporter. But I do have a genuine concern about the world's limited and fast vanishing resources. I am strong believer reuse over recycle.

CES 2010 is on. One of the technology trends predicted by ZD is echo-friendly! This post triggered me re-question about power adapters for laptops, cellular phones, PSP, and other electronic equipments. Why are they all differ? It frustrates me.

I have over half dozen of broken, old, dated cellular phones at home. Each phone came with its own power adapters. The power adapters are not compatible among phone. In most case, I need different adapters for phones of the same brand (such as Samsung)! This is frustrating. The phone is dead, old, trashed, useless, etc. But the power adapter is in mint condition! Now, what do I do with the power adapter? Ebay it out?

Wouldn't the World be a better place, all cell. phones have the same power adapter, such as USB?

Benefit 1: The obvious one. A new cell. phone doesn't require a new adapter.

Benefit 2: If the new cell. phone comes with a new power adapter, you now have spare one, just in case.

Benefit 3: If you forgot your adapter and need to charge/sync. your phone, a compatible cable is available ubiquitously -- your colleague has one, the guy sitting next to you in the train has one, you can buy one from airport kiosk, you can buy one from vending machines, etc.

Benefit 4: Phone manufacturers can now sell phones without the power adapter. Thus, reduces the package material and package cost, reduces the shipping cost, reduces the labour cost to manufacture, reduces the material to manufacture the power adapter, etc.

Eco-Packing is not new! Apple has been reducing the package size of its products.

Compact Package = Less Waste + Efficient Shipping


I am sure I have missed out a handful of pros to this idea.

Having the same power adapter for all cell. phone is an ALL WIN situation. I am sure someone would argue against this faultless idea. Please enlighten me if I miss out some disadvantage to this idea.

The same idea apply for laptop manufacturer.

I have not been using many different brands of laptop. "I am a Mac". But I did use IBM and HP laptops. They are both evil. Not only that the power adapters are not compatible among different models of the same brand, but for the same laptop, a different adapter is needed for the docking station and the laptop itself!! Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment